Saturday 23 May 2009

Final Week - Placement is over

Hello All,

Well I have now finished placement and the Harry Williams Hospital! Woop. I am really grateful for the experience but exceedingly glad that it is all over. How are you? How are things in England? Thank you to those of you that have been encouraging me through the process.

Well the week started on Sunday with a night shift. We had a C section and key whole surgery going on at the same time with one anaesthetist running between the two rooms. The key whole surgery was a removal of a gall bladder and he wasn´t under general anaesthetic and his heart rate was really low. Was a bit scary. Looking at the hospitals general anaesthetic machines, I would rather not have a general anaesthetic either. The machines look about a hundred years old! We also had a very traumatic labour, but I won´t go into details as you women will probably cross your legs and you men may well scream!

Tuesday got to go out to the community again. We went to a different place and had alot of fun playing with the kids. Not many people came to see the Dr and so we learnt alot about the culture and witchcraft. Many people consult traditional healers and spiritual healers before going to the hospital and then they present late to the hospital in a bad state!! The kids were just playing in the dust and the dirt and we brought some balls with us and had fun playing catch. They also love having their photos taken and taking photos themselves.

As my Spanish has improved I have been learning things in the presentations done by the interns this is always exciting. Some of the things they come out with can be quite amusing. Had one on diarrhoea infections inbetween my tummy playing up which I found interesting!!

On Thursday we went to take part in a health check of children in a near by district. This was fantastic, I was with a really lovely Dr. She got me to take the history and do all the examinations and then report my findings to her and say what drugs I would like to prescribe. At first my Spanish was a bit hesitant but it got better. Was really sad seeing kids with bad pneumonia and having no medicine. One of the really bizaare things was in the afternoon we saw kids with obesity, followed by kids with severe malnutrition and back to obesity again. The cycle just continued and I found the injustice rose within me.

On Thursday night we had our goodbye back with the girls. There was alot of laughter and giggling. Such good medicine. Kat and I ended up being houseparents on Wednesday night and we taught soem of the girls the song Great Big God is Spanish. It went down a treat. They literally were obsessed. We sang it so many times!! They also love Shout to the North the delirious song, funnily enough they only know the verse about women.

Anyway Friday involved a meeting with the Captain and starting our travelling. I am now in a place called Potossi on my way down South. I´m hoping for a relaxing holiday before 5th year starts.

Looking forward to seeing you soon, I am back in England in two weeks.

Love Zara

God Stuff
I´m running out of time so will have to be brief sorry.
God has very much been on my case about money. I have been listening to sermons on generosity and one of the books I am reading has been talking about it to. Something that has come up twice is about now living in Poverty Theology or Prosperity Theology but in Generosity Theology. I am trying to remember that God is the God of abundance and he will give us our daily bread. I want to try and live everyday living in His generosity and giving out his generosity, not just with money. It is only a year til I start earning and I am very aware at how money can corrupt. I am well aware in my reading of Acts that the early Christians were very concerned with their care of the poor and their teaching of the word. Sorry to be brief.

Secondly last year when I left the girls I knew I would be coming back. Yesterday morning I was grumpy because God hasn´t told me I am coming back. I am reading in Galatians about the fruits of the spriit and was reminded about being patient and faithful. In Jeremiah God talks about when we seek him with all our heart we will find him. I know He has my best at heart and now I have peace that if I will come back I will.

Got to go....xx

1 comment:

  1. wow, what an ending to an amazing placement. I hope you enjoy the next two weeks, resting and exploring!

    England today was awesome, clear skies, hot and sunny weather. Most my friends finished there exams yesterday, we went out to celebrate. Today we all just sat at a lake eatting and drinking. A wonderful end to my acadmic career at Aston.

    I hope to see another blog before your return!
    Kev

    ReplyDelete