Wednesday 27 May 2009

Uyuni and the Salt Flats




Hello Everyone,

Have had a great few days travelling and am now in La Paz. Last time I wrote I was in a city called Potossi which is the highest city in the world. It was a world famous silver mining place during the Spanish reign in South America. In first year I wrote an essay on the columbian exchange and all the good and bad things that occured because of it in the world. I am really enjoying seeing the history I have researched in practice and seeing how it still affects people today.

We went down to Uyuni and the Salt Flats and saw some amazing stunning things. Saw volcanos, giant cactuses, mountain of seven colours, beautiful coloured lakes, swam in a natural pool of 34 degrees water so so much more. Those of you who are into photography I would love to take you there. Unfortunately Kats battery ran out so most of the photos are on my camera and I have no cable, so you will have to wait until I get back!

Travelled in a group of six, which was such fun. Travelling is a really friendly activity. You see someone who looks like they speak English and you get chatting and laughing. That would never happen back home. I suppose there is a slight problem that 99% of people speak English but it would make a friendlier (Is that how you spell it?) place.

We had a tour guide and a cook who were fantastic. Something that made me mad is that they earn in a month (If they work everyday of the month) less that the six of us paid for one tour! Some of you may well be thinking that is the way the world works, but it doesn´t mean it is right. The cook got up at 2 am to make the food for the day and worked through til gone 9pm. They work everyday because they have 3 kids that they want to send to University.

We´re spending the day in La Paz before heading down to Lake Titicaca. The plan is to spend two days on the Bolivian side and then two days on the Peruvian side before heading up to Cuzco.

An advance warning, I will be flying home on the 8th June and will be in Shropshire til the 12th. I would love to see as many of you as possible, as well as seeing my family and applying for a job! Please email me if you would like to meet up. For those in Brum I will see you after, sorry. I´m looking forward to coming home and getting back into a routine. Oh I am such a creature of habit....

God Spot:
The city of Potossi was a central place for evangelism in the Spanish reign of Latin America. So many people came through that strategically it made alot of sense. It has got a lot of beautiful churches that were made up local craftsman which means that there are pictures of Jesus and Mary next to the sun and moon and other pagan worship symbols. This makes it a bit bizzare, but it something else that has really got me thinking. The working conditions that the Spanish inflicted on the miners was (Still is) horrific. To me the whole message of the gospel was therefore missed. They preached the good news and then treated them like dirt. How is this possible, such hypocrisy. But then it got me thinking about hypocrisy and how it is so easy for me to see the hyprocrisy elsewhere and not necessarily the injustice right infront of me. Almost a plank and spec think but also an exciting challenge to rise too. As many of you know, I really don´t like challenges so this made me sad (JOKE JOKE !!!!). Anyway a point to ponder.

Secondly and on a lighter note. I have seen some magnificent creation over the last few days. I think that God must love seeing people enjoying what he was made and having fun taking photos and all sorts. Some of the places I have been have been so cold and so high that it was very easy to get burnt, altitude sickness and not feel your toes. It makes me wonder what the new heaven and earth are going to be like. Are we going to be able to play in snow and not get cold? Are we going to be able to climb mountains and not get burnt? What is it going to be like? It makes me very excited and my imagination has gone wild. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Lots of Love Zara

1 comment:

  1. Dear Zara,
    It sounds like you've had a fantastic time and seen some amazing things. I'm currently working on a salt flats tour provider ranking website. I'd really appreciate it if you could spare 2 minutes to fill in our review form of the salt flats tour you did so that other people booking can easily choose a tour company that's what they want. You'll find the form at www.triptiv.com/uyunisaltflats/submitreview .
    Thank you!
    Cat

    ReplyDelete